El Pireo


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

El Pireo (o Peiraieus) fue el antiguo puerto de Atenas durante los períodos arcaico, clásico y helenístico y, de hecho, constaba de tres puertos separados: Kantharos, Zea y Munichia. El primero fue el más grande y se utilizó para la actividad comercial, mientras que parte de Kantharos y los otros dos puertos más pequeños se reservaron para uso militar para albergar la enorme flota ateniense que permitió a la ciudad ser uno de los jugadores más poderosos de Grecia y el Mediterráneo en general. a lo largo de la antigüedad.

Ubicado a solo 7 km (5 millas) al suroeste de Atenas, El Pireo es de hecho una península de piedra caliza que ofrece puertos naturales que los atenienses explotaron para crear lo que, en su apogeo en el siglo V a. C., sería el puerto más importante y la base naval más grande. en el mundo griego. El puerto se convirtió en un asentamiento próspero por derecho propio y era un vasto complejo de cobertizos para barcos, oficinas de envío, almacenes, bancos, astilleros y muchos otros negocios secundarios como tiendas y burdeles.

Cobertizos para barcos del Pireo

Cobertizos para barcosneosoikoi) eran una necesidad para cualquier flota considerable de barcos antiguos, especialmente los buques de guerra trirreme. Estas embarcaciones de madera no podían permanecer en el agua indefinidamente, por lo que para evitar que se empaparan de agua, se dañaran por las inclemencias del tiempo, se incrustaran con percebes y se las comiera el gusano de los barcos, tenían que ser arrastradas a tierra y, si era posible, protegidas de los elementos. Los cobertizos para barcos eran generalmente edificios largos y estrechos (40 metros de largo por 6 m de ancho) con techo y abiertos en el extremo del mar. Para proporcionar una buena ventilación, sus paredes, en lugar de ser sólidas, a menudo estaban hechas solo de pilares. Había cientos de cobertizos para barcos en el Pireo en su apogeo y fueron construidos sobre el lecho de piedra caliza con una inclinación de 1:10 para permitir que los barcos se levantaran (probablemente manualmente) por la popa primero. También se realizaron ligeros trabajos de mantenimiento en los galpones, como el revestimiento del casco con pintura antiincrustante, cuyos rastros quedan en el lugar.

Las fortificaciones de la Muralla Larga que conectaban el Pireo con Atenas se iniciaron en c. 465 a. C. y finalizado en 446 a. C.

Los muros largos

El Pireo fue fortificado desde c. 493 a. C., que según Tucídides fue un proyecto instigado por Temístocles y no terminó hasta el 480 a. C. Las fortificaciones de la Muralla Larga que conectaban el Pireo con Atenas se iniciaron en c. 465 a. C. y finalizado en 446 a. C. El Muro Largo del Norte medía alrededor de 6 km de longitud y se extendía desde el suroeste de Atenas hasta el noreste de El Pireo. El segundo muro corría hacia Phaleron y, por lo tanto, bloqueaba el acceso terrestre al puerto. En 446 a. C. se añadió un Muro Medio que corría paralelo al Muro Norte creando un estrecho corredor protegido entre la ciudad y el puerto y que proporcionaba tierras agrícolas invaluables y espacio vital en tiempos de guerra cuando la región más amplia de Ática estaba siendo atacada, ya que fue, por ejemplo, durante la Guerra del Peloponeso (431-404 a. C.).

Fortificaciones del Pireo

Los constructores de los puertos del Pireo siempre tuvieron en mente la defensa, ya que Zea fue retrocedido deliberadamente para que la entrada del puerto quedara expuesta al ataque de las costas laterales. Probablemente también había un muro de fortificación para bloquear cualquier ataque por tierra. En 429 a. C., durante la Guerra del Peloponeso, una incursión de Esparta, su rival desde hace mucho tiempo, llevó a los atenienses a fortificar mejor el Pireo. Las entradas a los puertos se hicieron más pequeñas por la construcción de topos fortificados que desembocan en el mar a ambos lados del puerto. Además, también se agregaron torres y plataformas para arqueros a los topos y se usaron cadenas móviles para cerrar las entradas por completo cuando fue necesario. Sin embargo, esto no impidió que Esparta atacara el Pireo nuevamente en 404 a. C. cuando los peloponesios destruyeron partes de las Murallas Largas.

Tras la derrota de Atenas en la Guerra del Peloponeso en el 404 a. C., El Pireo nunca recuperó su antigua gloria. Sin embargo, en 375 a. C. el puerto aún podía albergar 100 trirremes y a mediados del siglo IV a. C. el puerto se expandió una vez más para que Zea pudiera albergar 196 barcos, Munichia 84 y Kantharos 94. Durante la ocupación macedonia de 322 a 229 a. C. Pireo y Atenas se volvió menos importante como centro comercial del Mediterráneo y el final finalmente llegó en el 86 EC cuando el general romano Sila saqueó Atenas y destruyó el puerto.

¿Historia de amor?

Regístrese para recibir nuestro boletín semanal gratuito por correo electrónico.

Arqueología

Los tres puertos todavía se utilizan hoy en día y los restos arqueológicos incluyen los cimientos de varios cobertizos de barcos, fortificaciones y un teatro helenístico. Como el nivel del mar ha aumentado dos metros desde la antigüedad, muchas de las instalaciones antiguas del Pireo están ahora bajo el agua, pero continúan siendo excavadas y, a principios del siglo XXI, los arqueólogos han hecho descubrimientos importantes, por ejemplo, que algunos cobertizos de barcos pueden incluso haber sido lo suficientemente grande como para albergar dos trirremes de punta a punta. Los hallazgos notables en el sitio a lo largo de los años han incluido varias estatuas de bronce, quizás la más famosa sea la Apolo ahora en el Museo Arqueológico Nacional de Atenas.


Ferrocarriles del Pireo, Atenas y Peloponeso

La primera sección de la línea entre El Pireo, Atenas y Elefsis se completó en 1884. La línea llegó a Corinto en 1885 y Patras en 1887. Mientras tanto, una rama oriental de Corinto llegó a Argos y Nafplion en 1886. La rama occidental llegó a Pyrgos y finalmente a Kyparissia en 1902. SPAP también adquirió la línea entre Myloi (cerca de Argos) y Kalamata a través de Trípoli, de la quiebra Ferrocarriles del sur de Grecia (Sidirodromoi Mesimbrinis Ellados). Las dos rutas a Kalamata, vía Patras y vía Trípoli, se fusionaron en Zevgolatio.

La línea de El Pireo a Corinto era de 99 km, de Corinto a Kalamata a través de Trípoli 236 km y de Corinto a Zevgolatio a través de Patras y Pyrgos 347 km. La longitud total del sistema con los ramales fue de 731 km.

En 1929, SPAP adquirió la sección Heraklion-Lavrion de Athens-Lavrion Railway, anteriormente operada por Attica Railways, y construyó un enlace desde Kato Liossia (hoy Agioi Anargyroi) a Heraklion, para conectar la línea Lavrion a su red (1931). Los servicios de pasajeros en este ramal se suspendieron en 1957 y se cortó del resto de la red en 1962, debido a la construcción de la autopista Atenas-Salónica.

Durante la ocupación de Grecia por el Eje en la Segunda Guerra Mundial, y especialmente durante la retirada de las tropas alemanas en 1944, la red y el material rodante sufrieron grandes daños tanto por el ejército alemán como por los grupos de resistencia griegos. La reparación de los activos de SPAP requería mucho tiempo y era cara. El material rodante dañado se reparó principalmente en Piraeus Engine Sheds. Los niveles normales de servicio se reanudaron aproximadamente en 1948 con la excepción del puente destruido de Achladokampos (entre Argos y Trípoli), que fue reconstruido por OSE en 1974.

En 1951 SPAP absorbió el pequeño ferrocarril Pyrgos-Katakolo. En 1953, SPAP absorbió Northwestern Greece Railways (SDBE), que operaba una línea de ancho de metro desde Kryoneri a Messolongi y Agrinion.

En 1920, SPAP fue brevemente nacionalizada como parte de los Ferrocarriles Estatales Helénicos, pero se convirtió de nuevo en una empresa independiente dos años más tarde. Debido a las elevadas deudas, SPAP quedó bajo el control del gobierno en 1939-1940 y fue formalmente nacionalizada nuevamente en 1954. En 1962 la compañía fue absorbida por los Ferrocarriles Estatales Helénicos. [2]

La crisis económica en Grecia provocó la suspensión de todos los servicios de pasajeros y mercancías en el sistema ferroviario de ancho de vía en el Peloponeso en 2011.

Es poco probable que los servicios se reanuden alguna vez como un sistema administrado públicamente, aunque algunos servicios privados se ejecutan ocasionalmente. Una pequeña sección a través de la ciudad portuaria de Patras permanece abierta como ferrocarril suburbano.

Reapertura parcial Editar

Como parte de P.A.Th.E./P. proyecto, el antiguo tramo de vía entre Atenas y Kiato ha sido reconstruido a ancho estándar y electrificado. El ferrocarril Atenas Aeropuerto-Patras, inaugurado en 2007 hasta Kiato, es servido por trenes suburbanos Proastiakos Atenas. En 2019, esta línea se extenderá a Aigio como parte de Proastiakos [3] y, finalmente, Patras, proporcionando una conexión ferroviaria de ancho estándar de doble vía entre Patras y Atenas. También está prevista una extensión de Patras a Kalamata a través de Pyrgos. [4]

En julio de 2020 se anunció que las secciones de Patras a Pirgos y Corinth-Kalamata y la sucursal de Napfion reabrirán en 2021 con algunas secciones quizás antes.

Locomotoras de vapor Editar

Entre 1883 y 1962 SPAP utilizó 128 locomotoras de 25 tipos diferentes.

Unidades múltiples diésel Editar

SPAP introdujo vagones diésel y unidades múltiples a principios de 1937. Redujeron los tiempos de viaje y ofrecieron buenas instalaciones para los pasajeros.


El Pireo - Historia

Debido a que el Pireo está en el paseo marítimo, los cafés y restaurantes de la ciudad ofrecen algunos de los mariscos más frescos y sabrosos del mundo.

Los aficionados a la historia están de enhorabuena con el Museo Arqueológico del Pireo, ubicado en un edificio de dos niveles en el centro del sitio.

Fundado en 1949, el Museo Marítimo Helénico es una visita obligada para cualquier persona interesada en aprender sobre la historia naval griega.

Para echar un vistazo al Pireo de antaño, diríjase a los restos de las puertas y muros de piedra que se utilizaron para proteger la ciudad en la antigüedad.

Visitar una estación de tren puede no parecer una forma muy emocionante de pasar sus vacaciones, pero la arquitectura del Pireo ...

Cualquier persona interesada en la religión o la historia o ambas debería hacer un tiempo en su viaje para explorar las numerosas iglesias repartidas por el Pireo.

Si está de visita en la estación de tren, es posible que desee considerar agregar una parada en el Museo de Ferrocarriles Eléctricos del Pireo.

Inaugurado en 1985, el Estadio Peach and Friendship comúnmente llamado SEF y es un moderno y en pleno funcionamiento.


"Días del mar 2021" para celebrar la cultura y la historia del Pireo

ATENAS - La réplica funcional de & # 39Olympias & # 39, el trirreme ateniense del siglo V a. C., será parte de los aspectos más destacados de este año & # 39s & quot; Días del mar 2021 & quot; del 28 de mayo al 6 de junio, mostrando la ciudad portuaria & # 39s cultura, deportes e historia.

Un teatro al aire libre improvisado en Ormos Afroditis proyectará películas griegas el 4, 5 y 6 de junio, mientras que las actividades para niños que se ofrecerán incluirán navegación y boy / girl scouting, entre otras actividades. También se exhibirán pintura y escultura, y se ofrecerán recorridos arqueológicos, además de numerosos otros eventos, como conciertos y espectáculos de luces.

Alexandras Square albergará una exhibición de flores y el área antes del Museo Marítimo se dedicará a enseñar a los niños pequeños a andar en bicicleta.

Kanari Square ofrecerá información sobre reciclaje a través de iniciativas interactivas, y los voluntarios ayudarán a limpiar la costa y el mar de Votsalakia, Freatida y Mikrolimano.

Blue Entrepreneurship in Europe, la fase final del programa blueAct, se llevará a cabo durante los Días del Mar e incluirá la asistencia de los ganadores de los concursos de emprendedores de las siete ciudades portuarias de Europa.

Después de los cierres de la pandemia del coronavirus, el alcalde Yiannis Moralis dijo: "Piraeus está celebrando y todos estaremos allí para divertirnos y honrar la historia, la cultura y los hermosos lugares de nuestra ciudad, siempre enfocados en el mar".


Historia del Pireo

Como se sabe, el Pireo fue una isla durante los años prehistóricos. Se separó del resto de Ática con una zona marítima que partía de la región de la bahía de Falirian y, más concretamente, de New Faliro, pasaba por el actual distrito de Kaminia y parte del municipio de St. John Renti y terminaba en el puerto de Alon, frente a la estación de tren Atenas-Pireo. Posteriormente, esta zona se cubrió de aluviones para transformarse inicialmente en una franja marina poco profunda, luego en una "región pantanosa" (pantano) y finalmente en una "región fangosa" (planicie de fango). Luego se convirtió en lo que todos conocen como Alipedo, lo que unió a El Pireo con el resto de Ática. El origen del topónimo de El Pireo se atribuye a esta forma de isla del lugar en la antigüedad. La mayoría de la gente atribuye su origen a una palabra que significa "barquero", del barquero anónimo que probablemente transportó con su barco la residencia de Attica a la costa opuesta del Pireo y viceversa. La palabra para barquero se convirtió en un nombre de lugar y después de un cambio de vocal terminamos con Piraeus en su actual de. En la comunicación cotidiana, la forma inicial del nombre del lugar también ha sobrevivido hasta la fecha. Otros creen que el nombre del lugar proviene de la palabra 'más allá', ya que el Pireo, ya sea como una isla separada del resto de Ática o después de que se unieron debido a que el pantano de Alipedo se encontraba en el medio, estaba 'más allá de la costa' y, por lo tanto, se la denomina como 'similar a una isla'. El Pireo fue habitado a mediados del tercer milenio antes de Cristo. Esta opinión se ve reforzada por los restos de asentamientos protohelénicos revelados en las antiguas Kokinia y Keratsini que se ubican temporalmente entre 2600 y 1900 a.C. en correlación con otros hallazgos de la misma época (ruinas de edificios, herramientas) en la región de Mounichia y Stalida.

Se informó que los primeros residentes del Pireo fueron Pelasgi y otros residentes prehistóricos familiares del espacio helénico (Karres, Leleges, Cretas, Thaces, Foinicians) pero en su mayoría minianos, que eran los más avanzados de todos con muchas habilidades y conocimientos técnicos, muy por delante de su tiempo. Los últimos, potencialmente de origen jónico, emanaron de Orchomeno en Viotia y se asentaron en El Pireo a finales del siglo XIII o principios del XII a.C., tras la invasión tracia de su tierra. Siendo marineros experimentados, encontraron en el pequeño puerto natural de Mounichia (actualmente llamado Mikrolimano) una base adecuada para sus operaciones mientras su asentamiento se desarrollaba en el cerro que lleva su nombre (el actual cerro de Profitis Ilias). Según las tradiciones, esta colina les fue cedida por el rey de Atenas, Mounichio, por eso se llamó Mounichia, mientras que otros atribuyen el topónimo a un líder o héroe miniano. En la cima de la colina, o en una pequeña altura en el lado izquierdo del pequeño puerto de Mounichia donde se ha erigido el salón de la "Sociedad Marina Helénica", los minianos fundaron el templo de la "Artemisa de Mounichia". Los minianos que habían sido expertos en la construcción de pasajes subterráneos (túneles), alcantarillas y otras obras técnicas han dejado su huella en la zona del Pireo. Aparte de la nivelación de la colina de Mounichia y los artefactos tallados encontrados dentro de cuevas y rocas que la gente solía llamar 'Theospita', dos importantes trabajos técnicos atestiguan el paso de Minian por el Pireo: la cueva conocida como 'cueva de Aretousa' en el colina de Mounichia y el 'Siraggio' anteriormente conocido como 'cueva de Paraskevas'.

Aparte del asentamiento prehistórico de los minianos en la colina de Mounichia en los años prehistóricos y más tarde, hubo otro 'contacto' o 'unión' de comunidades en El Pireo de carácter principalmente religioso que compartían un templo común: el llamado 'Tetrakomon ( cuatro ciudades) Iraklion '. Las cuatro 'komes' (ciudades) que constituían esta peculiar 'unión' comunal eran: El Pireo, Faliro - la ciudad más importante en la época que los atenienses usaban como ciudad portuaria y cuyo nombre proviene de un héroe local que según la tradición fue uno de los argonautas, la ciudad actualmente llamada Keratsini y Xipeti, que se encuentra entre Old Kokkinia y Korydallos probablemente en el lugar de Nikaia. El culto a Hércules fue el eslabón de esta peculiar unión comunal que sobrevivió durante muchos siglos y el templo común del 'Tetrakomon' se encontró, según las opiniones predominantes, en el actual distrito llamado Kaminia.

A pesar de que el Pireo había sido habitado a mediados del III milenio, fue durante muchos siglos una pequeña ciudad insignificante sin ningún interés particular para los atenienses hasta su explotación (siglo V aC). El nombramiento de El Pireo, que fue declarado municipio en el 517 a. C. a raíz de la reforma administrativa de Klisthenis, fundador de la democracia ateniense, coincide con el período de acné de esta democracia. Esto se debe al interés y las realizaciones creativas de dos importantes personajes políticos de la época: Temístocles y Pericles.

El interés de Temístocles por El Pireo se expresó principalmente después de la batalla de Marathona en 492/493 a. C. cuando fue elegido "líder epónimo". Las obras para la fortificación de la ciudad se iniciaron antes de la batalla naval de Salamina (480 a. C.) pero se completó entre el 471 y el 465 a. C. Posteriormente (461-465 a. C.) siguieron más obras para la ampliación de los Muros Largos para que se pudiera lograr la vinculación del Pireo con Atenas. Finalmente, durante los años 451-431 a. C. el edificio y la configuración final de la ciudad se completó con un plan urbano prototípico, para su época, construido por el célebre arquitecto y urbanista Milisius.

La elección de Temístocles, que había sido el creador del antiguo Pireo, fue un éxito. Combinando sus ventajas naturales debido a sus tres puertos 'autónomos' (Mega, Zea, Mounichia) y las obras que se llevaron a cabo, El Pireo pronto evolucionó no solo en el puerto de guerra más seguro sino también en el puerto comercial más perfecto en construcción, organización y explotación. . Este puerto incluía:

Excelente fortificación, cuyos vestigios han sobrevivido hasta la fecha.
Todas las instalaciones necesarias para atender el tráfico del puerto como muelles y muelles para el fondeo de los barcos, cinco almacenes para el depósito de las mercancías, plazas de mercado, astilleros para la construcción de barcos, almacenes para guardar el equipo de los barcos.
Edificios públicos, templos y teatros.
Excelente distribución de calles.
En términos generales, una ciudad llena de vida, el Pireo había sido llamado con justicia la tierra comercial de Grecia. Según Thoukididis "A esta tierra debido al tamaño de la ciudad, todo viene de todas partes". Un enorme puerto de importación en la antigüedad El Pireo todavía ha mantenido este rasgo a través de los siglos, ya que hoy en día es el puerto de importación más grande del país con una proporción postant de importaciones-exportaciones: 7: 3.

El puerto comercial del antiguo Pireo, el conocido 'comercio', se extendía desde la región de la actual oficina central de aduanas hasta el borde de Ietionia que es el lugar donde se encuentra el silo y hasta hace poco las casas de acopio de la ZONA FRANCA excluyendo la cuenca. del puerto de Alon que no se usó en la antigüedad porque era poco profundo. Teniendo todas las instalaciones necesarias y una organización prototípica con todos los organismos responsables del servicio al cliente (comisarios de comercio, funcionarios de aduanas, recaudadores de impuestos, policías, encargados de alimentos, etc.), el 'comercio' garantizaba todas las promesas para la realización sin trabas de los trabajos portuarios. También se habían adoptado medidas estrictas para garantizar la fluidez de las transacciones comerciales en el "mercado", cuya insuficiencia constituía el centro de la vida económica de la ciudad. El 'mercado' se encontraba en la región del 'comercio' mientras que otro responsable de las necesidades diarias de la residencia, el llamado 'Ipodamios' funcionaba en el interior de la ciudad cerca del puerto de Zeas (Pasalimani).

Inadequety Piraeus era principalmente un puerto de importación con un gran tráfico de mercancías y mercancías, especialmente de octubre a abril, cuando las condiciones meteorológicas facilitaron los viajes de los barcos de vela. El albergue de envío más grande provino de los puertos del Mediterráneo y del Mar Negro, particularmente de Skithia, donde se importaban los cultivos. El comercio de exportación se limitaba al envío de ciertos productos del Ática (como aceite, vino y miel) y productos de cerámica. El enorme tráfico de importación de los puertos y la aplicación de los principios de la economía libre en el intercambio diario de productos contribuyeron también al crecimiento de un tráfico comercial considerable en la ciudad.

Los comerciantes eran en su mayoría extranjeros que se habían asentado permanentemente en El Pireo - los llamados 'Metiki' - a quienes se les otorgaron ciertos derechos para el ejercicio de su profesión. Estaban obligados a pagar un impuesto especial llamado "Metikio". La presencia de un número tan grande de extranjeros, con pensamientos y opiniones más progresistas que la gente local y el vasto tráfico de gente que pasaba, resultó en el libre intercambio de nuevas ideas. Hasta cierto punto, esto puede explicar por qué El Pireo había desarrollado un "espíritu libre" y una mera conciencia democrática para ser considerada la ciudad portuaria no solo en el mundo socioeconómico sino también en el político.

Aparte del comercio, la industria también se había desarrollado considerablemente. En primer lugar, la construcción naval, la metalurgia y cerámica y en segundo lugar el tejido fueron algunas de sus ramas representativas. Además, en El Pireo se configuró el precio de bolsa de varios productos y se determinó la gama de tarifas de los barcos. Todas las cuestiones relativas a las transacciones comerciales estaban reguladas en la ciudad, de modo que se la consideraba justamente como el "Londres de la antigüedad".

El florecimiento social y económico que conoció El Pireo durante el período de su acné resultó en el desarrollo simultáneo de su vida intelectual y artística. No solo personas de espíritu y arte, sino también poderosos ricos de la época participaron activamente teniendo la ciudad portuaria como base para su actividad comercial. Platón, Sócrates, Lisias, Metón el astrónomo, Jenofonte y más tarde Demóstenis el orador, se reunieron en las casas de Kefalos el industrial, Pasión el banquero, Calias el político, Timoteo el general y muchos más y hablaron de temas científicos, artísticos y sociales. cuestiones de su tiempo. Esto se puede ver en la elección del escenario que hicieron Xenothon y Platón en sus obras. En "Politeia", la obra más famosa de Platón, el escenario del diálogo se sitúa en El Pireo. Finalmente, en el renombrado teatro de Mounichia se enseñaron y representaron ocasionalmente obras de Aischylus, Sófocles Eurípedes, Aristófanes y Menandros, atrayendo a públicos de toda Grecia.

El curso del antiguo Pireo y el curso de la democracia ateniense parecían ser comunes. Después de su apogeo, durante el "Siglo de Oro" de Pericles, la Guerra del Peloponeso (431-401 a. C.) fue el primer daño decisivo para la ciudad. El restablecimiento de la democracia (403 a. C.) uniría a la ciudad durante un tiempo gracias a los esfuerzos de Thrasyvoulos. Finalmente, el curso hacia la decadencia definitiva comenzó lenta pero constantemente en la era macedonia para ser seguido por la invasión romana y la destrucción de la ciudad por Syllas en el 85 a. C. Después de la destrucción, la ciudad fue restringida cerca del puerto. El triste final de la historia del antiguo Pireo se escribió durante los primeros años poscristianos. El largo período de decadencia comenzó en el 395 a. C. en el momento de la última invasión de los Gotth y duró unos quince siglos hasta nuestro restablecimiento nacional. La ciudad no existió realmente durante este período de tiempo. No estamos en condiciones de saber si se han creado algunos "hogares" de vida durante estos años. El puerto fue utilizado ocasionalmente por la flota bizantina o por otros barcos piratas que aprovechaban el mar Egeo. Sin embargo, no puede haber ninguna referencia a ningún tráfico portuario, ni siquiera limitado.

El Pireo ha perdido su antiguo nombre desde 1318 a. C. Fue nombrado 'Porto Leone' y 'Porto Draco' por los francos y luego 'Puerto de Aslan' (es decir, el puerto del león) por los turcos el nombre de una estatua de mármol de un león que se colocó casi en el mismo lugar donde el Posteriormente se construyó el Antiguo Ayuntamiento (el Reloj). Esta estatua fue "raptada" por el P. Morozini durante su conocida campaña contra Atenas en 1688 y fue transportado a Venecia donde aún se puede encontrar. No conocemos ni su escultor ni el momento de su diseño ni el momento de su ubicación en El Pireo y, según Ioannis Meletopoulos, "su tamaño sobrenatural, su forma humana y sus misteriosos escritos lo han convertido siempre en uno de los misterios sin resolver de nuestra historia".

Sin embargo, dado que esta estatua ha estado indisolublemente conectada con un largo período histórico de la ciudad, la gente del Pireo nunca dejó de pedir su devolución. Tanto el Municipio como otras Instituciones Colectivas Locales han tomado medidas repetidas, pero sin resultado. El tema ha pasado a un escenario central después de la constitución de un comité coordinador para la devolución de la estatua del león. El Comité, después de haber recaudado la cantidad necesaria de dinero a través de subvenciones y fondos, pidió al escultor G. Megkoula que hiciera una réplica de la estatua con el objetivo de ofrecerla a Venecia pidiendo la devolución del prototipo. Esta réplica se colocó temporalmente en un lugar vital del puerto central bajo el cuidado y a expensas de la Organización Portuaria del Pireo.

Durante el período de la ocupación otomana, la desolación y el abandono fueron los rasgos característicos de la región del Pireo. Todos los visitantes de la ciudad en ese momento confirman tal punto. El puerto solo se utilizó para transacciones comerciales mínimas en intervalos de tiempo delgados. El Monasterio de San Spyridon era el único "hogar" de la vida en el momento en que se fundó, según opiniones más nuevas y bien argumentadas, aproximadamente en 1590. El monasterio albergaba a pocos monjes mientras que en este "extraño" escenario de desolación general, un peculiar francés también se instaló en una casa situada en la costa del Pireo a mediados del siglo XVIII. Todo el cuadro de la decadencia se completó con la figura trágico-cómica de un oficial de aduanas turco que, según Chateaubriand, mostrando una paciencia tonta, esperó durante meses a ver pasar un barco ».

Nace un nuevo estado, renace la esperanza del Pireo

En 1829, cuando se escucharon los últimos ecos de los golpes de los carros de la revolución nacional de 8 años, a través de las ruinas y la tierra quemada todo indicaba que no tardaría en renacer el "Estado griego". Siguiendo la misma línea, "la región llamada El Pireo" durante los últimos años revolucionarios volvería a levantarse y al deshacerse de todos sus nombres extranjeros recuperaría su antigua gloria. Como sucedió en realidad durante un período de tiempo relativamente corto que abarca las seis últimas décadas del siglo XIX, cuando tuvo lugar el milagro de la creación del Pireo más nuevo.

Durante el nuevo curso histórico del Pireo, el inicio épico de la recreación de la ciudad estuvo marcado decisivamente por dos cronologías que son 1829 y 1835. En 1829, los primeros cinco nuevos residentes llegaron a la ciudad entre los que Giannakos Tzelepis, cuyo nombre ha Sobrevivió a lo largo de la historia ya que una de las costas del Pireo lleva su nombre. En 1835, se estableció el primer municipio de El Pireo, siendo Kyriako Serfioti, procedente de Idra, el primer alcalde. Mientras tanto, tras el traslado de la capital de Nauplio a Atenas (1834) y la evidente perspectiva de un futuro desarrollo del puerto del Pireo, se manifestó un intenso interés por la ocupación del Pireo, que aumentaba constantemente a lo largo de los años. Estas personas que tenían muchas habilidades y capacidades (como se demostró prácticamente más adelante) constituían el "núcleo" de la población de la nueva ciudad. El Pireo debe su recreación y evolución a uno de los centros comerciales y marinos más grandes e importantes del país a sus esfuerzos. Además, El Pireo tuvo la suerte de tener residentes activos y creativos con una amplia gama de sueños que amaban la ciudad y sentaban las bases para su futura prosperidad. Los ex alcaldes municipales del Pireo más nuevo han valido la pena en todos los aspectos y siempre se han mencionado con gratitud: Kyriakos A. Serfiotis (alcalde 1835-41), Petros S. Omiridis (1841-45, 1848-54), Antonios Theocharis (1845 -48), Loucas D. Rallis (1855-66), Dimitrios A. Moutzopoulos (1874-83, 1895-1903), Aristeidis Skylitsis (1883-87), Theodoros G. Retsinas (1887-95). Gracias a los esfuerzos de los primeros residentes, la contribución de sus primeros alcaldes creativos y una serie de acontecimientos históricos, El Pireo se convirtió en el primer puerto del país a finales del siglo XIX, reclamando sistemáticamente esta posición a Siros que había sido el centro marino más importante de la época. De esta serie de hechos marcamos de manera indicativa la conexión ferroviaria del Pireo con Atenas en 1896 y con otras ciudades de Grecia hacia finales de siglo los primeros esfuerzos considerables para el crecimiento industrial del país que debían situarse entre 1860 y 1870 y el apertura del Canal de Corinto en 1893 que hizo que la posición del puerto fuera más ventajosa con respecto a Occidente en combinación con el giro definitivo del transporte comercial griego de madera a vapor a principios del presente siglo.

El "milagro" de la recreación se completó a finales del siglo XIX. Inicialmente la ciudad se había configurado de acuerdo con el excelente plan urbanístico para su época realizado por Kleanthes-Schaubert-Klenze y luego de acuerdo con las modificaciones y terminaciones necesarias. Se construyeron muchos edificios públicos y privados de excelente gusto, pocos de los cuales han sobrevivido hasta la fecha. El comercio y la industria se desarrollaron y la población de la ciudad creció a 51.020 en 1896. Aparte de los primeros edificios públicos construidos inmediatamente después de la fundación del municipio (Oficina de Despacho de Aduanas, Casas de Valores del Estado, etc.), todos los edificios escolares necesarios (Ralleio Parthenagogio, 'Ioannidies Scholes' y muchas escuelas primarias), la mansión de la Bolsa, la conocida como 'El Reloj' (que acogió el Ayuntamiento en 1885 y cuya demolición fue considerada como una falta de respeto a la memoria histórica del Pireo) y muchas más iglesias (Saint Spyridon, Saint Nickolaos, Saint Konstantinos - Euaggelistrias, Saint Holi Trinity, etc.) se habían construido a finales del siglo XIX. Finalmente, gracias a la financiación de grandes benefactores, se fundaron una serie de instituciones que aún funcionan en la actualidad (Hospital Tzaneio, Orfanato Zaneio, Orfanato de mujeres Xatzikiriakeio, Hogar de los Eldelry, etc.).

Se construyeron las primeras obras portuarias necesarias en el puerto que había estado bajo la administración y control del municipio del Pireo durante 75 años, lo que permitió al puerto satisfacer las crecientes demandas del tráfico portuario de la época que oscilaba entre 2500 barcos y 1500000 toneladas de mercancía por año. Las lámparas que iluminaban el Pireo fueron reemplazadas sucesivamente por lámparas de gasolina, gas (1878) y electricidad a principios del siglo XX (1903-04). La pobreza, el declive y la falta de vida económica fueron seguidos por el acné y el florecimiento de las primeras fábricas (Vasiliadis, John Mac Dual y Varvour, Retsina, Volanaki, Dilaveru, Metaxa, etc.) y las grandes casas comerciales. También se mostró un crecimiento considerable en los sectores intelectual y artístico. A principios del siglo XX, que estaba destinado a ser una era inquietante de cambios cosmogénicos, el Pireo definitivamente había ganado la batalla de su recreación y prosperidad. Se había convertido en el primer puerto y la segunda ciudad de Grecia. The prospect of the city’s progress was meant to be even wider in the years to follow – as it actually happened through the astonishing development of Piraeus during the course of the 20th century until now.

During the first four centuries of the 20th century the city continued its constant growth in all sectors (i.e. commerce, industry, marine and all fields of economic life). On the same time, considerable achievements took place in the wider social field. This can be attributed to the homogeneity that the society of Piraeus maintained, particularly until 1922, and the intense projection of a local conscience that shaped the special ‘character’ of the city. The practical needs of the people were decisively met by the constant expansion of the electrical lighting, the electrification of the Piraeus-Athens railway (1904) and the ‘tram’ lines (1909), the flattening of central roads and squares and the resolution of the serious water problems of the city due to the construction of the dam of Marathon (1931). These works improved the quality of life of the residents of Piraeus. Simultaneously, after the foundation of the ‘Epitropeias Port’ (1991), the first big works in the port were constructed. Additionally, after the foundation of the Piraeus Port Organisation (1930) the issue of the city’s administration and organisation was definitely resolved on a solid and mainly rational basis. In the intermediary interval (1900-1930) the city was considerably developed and, after the shocking events of the period 1912-1922 (Balkan wars, World War I, Minor Asia Destruction), was magnified. Particularly after 1922, Piraeus knew its biggest demographic ‘explosion’ when, due to the arrival of refugees from Minor Asia and their settlement in regions around the city (the current municipalities of Nikaia, Keratsini, Drapetsona etc), the population doubled ranging to 251.695 in 1928 (1920: 133.428). Despite the serious problems that this settlement initially caused which thanks to the residents’ efforts were overcome, it contributed to the alteration of the populational composition of the city but on the same time it was useful and productively efficient. This is because the country’s economy was strengthened by a worthwhile living potential whose contribution was considered as totally positive not only for the local but also for the wider national network.

The nation’s war adventures (1940-44) had the corresponding repercussions in both the city and the port of Piraeus. Their impact, especially on the latter, was direct and inhibitory for its unhindered operation. War events such as the bombardment by German ‘stoukas’ and the explosion of Klan Frayzer (6-4-1941), the big bombardment of Piraeus by the ‘Allies’ (11-1-1944) and the explosion of the port facilities (12-10-1944) resulted in the almost complete destruction of the harbour causing damage which was estimated to range to 325.000.000 pre-war drachmas. The city damage was equally huge (the Church of Holy Trinity collapsed, 684 private and public buildings, 56 warehouses and factories, 3000 wooden-built houses were destroyed, 2.070 public and private buildings and 146 factories and warehouses were seriously damaged, 15.000 people were dead, 11.000 of which died of hunger during the winter of 1941-42).

During the first post war years, after the reconstruction of the damages in the port and the city, Piraeus started to recover especially in the beginning of the 1950s. The necessary conditions were created for the infrastructure in facilities and means to meet the needs of a constantly increasing traffic in marine transactions through a series of works in the port that gained wider space after the revolutionary changes taking place after the invasion of containers in the field of marine transactions. On the same time, in the middle of the 1950s an attempt to rebuild the city began which was magnified during the next decade when multi-stored buildings were erected with the ‘concrete’ becoming more and more imposing. While it was a necessary process to accommodate the growing number of residents it radically changed the aesthetics of the city. Only few of the buildings of the neoclassic buildings have been rescued and are currently used so that part of this cultural heritage to remain intact. However, despite the alterations it has suffered through certain architectural extremities and despite its adjacency with Athens which quite often has a negative effect on many sectors of local life, Piraeus has managed to maintain – to a large extent – its ‘physiognomy’ which is actually consolating. If this fact is reinforced by the necessary ‘interventions’ of the local authorities for the creation of more ‘spots’ of green and culture, Piraeus is going to be a pole of attraction for a greater number of both local and foreign people. The city of such a great history and fascinating ‘adventures’ through centuries, the city of such unique aesthetics and natural surroundings that constitute the uniqueness of its ‘lyric landscape’.


HOW TO GET THERE

BY ATHENS METRO: 1 (Green Line), Station "Piraeus"

BY BUS: 218, 232, 300, 703, 420, 800, 814, 824, 825, 826, 832, 833, 843, 859, 871, 872, 875, 904, 906, 909, 915, E90, X96

RELATED CONTENT

Discover the beautiful beach locations around Athens

A brief history of the city from ancient times to the present

The main square of Municipality of Piraeus

Possible one of the most famous coasts in all of Greece

Area of Piraeus full of fun and activity

Poseidon’s fruits of the sea on your table in a matter of minutes


The Port of Piraeus Through The Ages

The course of ancient Piraeus followed that of the Athenian Democracy and, in parallel, experienced the latter's "Golden Century". It was to also suffer the Democracy's first set- back during the Peloponnese war (431-404 B.C.) It was to recover somewhat. following the re-establishment of the Democracy (403 B.C.) which would begin from here - the hill of Mounichia - by the efforts of Thrasybulus. I would finally follow the Democracy's course to its decline, slowly but surely, from the Macedonian era, and receive its mortal blow from the Roman invaders and its destruction, at the hands of Sylla in 85 B.C.

Following the city's destruction, a few inhabitants remained in the vicinity of the harbour. Then, in the first years of the Christian era, the sad epilogue to the history of ancient Piraeus was written.

From 395 B.C., with a final invasion by the Goths, began the long period of Piraeus' decline, which was to last for about 15 centuries with the time of our national renaissance. During that period, the city ceased to exist. If a few small "pockets" of habitation were, by chance, established, we do not know. Of any harbour acitivity, however limited, there is no mention. The harbour, or port, of Piraeus was, of course, used on occasion as a base for the Byzantine fleet or by pirates who then, as later, roamed the Aegean.

However, from 1318 A.D, the port lost its ancient name. It became "Porto Leone", the "Porto Draco" of the Franks, and, from 1456, the "Asian Port" of the Turks (the Lion's Port), getting its name from the marble lion standing at the point where, later, the old Town Hall (ROLOI - the Clock) was built. The marble lion was removed and stolen in 1688, during Fr. Morozini's well-known expedition against Athens, and carried to the naval base of Venice where it still exists."

Throughout the whole period of Turkish occupation, the Piraeus region remained desert- ed. Visitors to the Piraeus region throughout the period are all agreed on this point. The harbour was used at infrequent intervals for trifling commercial trading. The only "pocket" of habitation throughout the period was the Monastery of St. Spyridon which, according to more recent and better informed opinions, was established in 1590, and the only named presence in 18th century Piraeus was the French merchant,Cayrac, a person who earned the trust and respect of both Greeks and foreigners."

The numerous owners of land in Piraeus, who are referred to in I. Meletopoulos' "Piraika" and urged both him and others to occupy themselves with the local history and to support the view that Piraeus, during the latter years of Turkish occupation, was not deserted, most of them Athenians - and Othomans, - did not in fact live in Piraeus. They were simply the owners of land and had no personal ties with the area.

They did, however, react decisively in two attempts to revitalize Piraeus: in 1792, by the installation of the Hydraians, and, in 1825 - when the revolutionary struggle had already begun by the installation of the Psarians, both attempts resulting in abandonment.6

It was not until 1829 that the area began once again to show signs of permanent inhabitance. When the last shots of the 8 year struggle for national independence were heard and from the ruins and ashes the Greek State finally emerged, the first of its new "settlers" arrived at Piraeus - 5 in number - amongst them the most well-known being Yiannakos Tzelepis, in memory of whom the Tzelepis Promenade was named. The other four were two of Tzelepis' brothers, Spyridon Diplaris, from Athens, and loannis Katelouzos.7

From 1830 to 1834, the number of "settlers", the first residents, gradually grew. In 1834, Cleanthes and Schaubert drew up the excellent - for that time - town plan of Piraeus which was approved, with a minimum of amendment, by the Architect Klenze and the Regent. In 1835, following an application by the most prosperous of the new inhabitants, the Municipal- ity was established. On 14 December the first Municipal elections were held and, on 23 December, in the partly ruined church of the Monastery of St. Spyridon, the first municipal council was sworn in and undertook its duties under the Mayor, Hydraian Kyriakos Serfiotis and Deputy Mayor, the Chian, Constantinos Skylitsis.8

I SHALL NOT refer in great detail to all the phases of our city's historical course from the first establishment of the Municipality (1835) to the end of the 19th century, those years which made up what I once called the "New Piraeus Epic".g

I shall simply underline certain characteristic events which will allow us, I believe, to correctly judge the magnitude and extent of whatever has been achieved during that epic period of the new Piraeus' development.

First and foremost, when, from the ruins and ashes of the Revolution, inherited by the liberated Greek people, came forth the new Greek State, Piraeus was, as we have said, an insignificant harbour with a few fishermen's huts, a few farm-buildings on its surrounding land - towards Keratsini the "Dogana" (customs-house) and the Monastery of St. Spyridon, in ruins. In other words, it was almost deserted and showed nothing of its ancient greatness. It also gave no indication of the "miracle" which was to follow.

Five or six years later, when the Municipality of Piraeus was established, the situation had changed somewhat. The "village" had begun to take shape, with about 300 inhabitants from all parts of Greece, thus creating, by virtue of their varied origins, a lively nucleus of the new state, in which there existed, in harmony, all virtues, the charisma, of the Greek, those virtues which compose the so-called "Creative Talents" of our race and render us, despite our undoubted faults, capable of performing vital and decisive miracles of benefit to both our own city and the nation as a whole.

In the Piraeus of the 19th century, particularly during the first years following the estab- lishment of the Municipality, that creative talent of the Greek race did indeed perform miracles. It gave us, as a result, the surprising evolution of the area that uninterrupted course towards progressive development - I would say, a frenetic rythm - which changed the muddy "village" of 1835 with its 300 settlers and its "huts", into the leading port and the second city of Greece.

Naturally, all that did not come about by chance. Certain pre-requisites existed and these greatly assisted their realisation. There were also certain "factors" which played a corre- sponding role. First of all, the favourable geographic location of the area, then its nearness to Athens which, in 1834, became the state's capital - a decisive incentive attracting more. and more new settlers to the area from all parts of the country. Moreover, the correct assessment and forecast by many who appreciated the region's future prospects, were soon to be well justified. Indeed, by the end of the 19th century, certain events had contributed decisively to the evolution of Piraeus and its ultimate declaration as the country's leading port - a position which, for 50 years-, was claimed by Syros, the region's most important maritime centre of the period. Indicatively, I note the rail-road connection with Athens in 1869 and, later, towards the end of the century, with other Greek cities, the first noteworthy attempts at an industrial development in the area which must be dated around 1860 to 1870, the widening of the Corinth Canal in 1893, which made Piraeus' location even more favour- able for traffic to and from the west, in parallel with the decisive turn of the Greek maritime circles to the use of steam, and so on.

But all these pre-requisites, all these "happy events", would not have been sufficient without the "human factor" - in other words, all those creative and active people who were capable of realising those favourable pre-requisites and exploiting the opportunities in time, and passionately working for the good of our port and city, a city which was not even their original home, but which they had apparently grown to love far more. They believed in its future and fought and worked hard to build it on strong foundations.

To all those "first Citizens of Piraeus", each of whom, in his own particular profession or trade, performed miracles, modern Piraeus owes its remarkable evolution - naturally, first and foremost, to those who guided it towards its destiny during the first years, to those creative mayors of the 19th century, the names of most of whom are directly bound to the more important efforts leading to the success of Piraeus.

THOSE efforts continued with the same intensive rhythm throughout the 19th century and bore fruit at the end of that last 100 years. With the superhuman efforts of all those who had bound their lives, their destinies, to that of the city but also - and mainly - with the care taken by those enlightened municipal leaders, Piraeus was able to steadily move forward on its progressive way. The first mayors were undoubtedy creative. The title was justifiably theirs, because their work remained to give decisive weight to the evolution of the region, and the people of Piraeus should remember their names with gratitude:

  • Kyriakos Serfiotis (Mayor from 1835-1841)
  • Petros Skylitsis-Homiridis (1841-45 and 1848-54) - From 1854 to 1855, the Deputy-Mayor, Set. Retsinopoulos ulsided
  • Antonios Theoharis (1845-48)
  • Loukas Rallis (1855-66)
  • Demetrios Moutzopoulos (1866-74)
  • Tryfon Moutzopoulos (1874-83 and 1895-1903)
  • Aristides Skylitsis (1883-87), and
  • Theadoros Retsinas (1887-95)

In parallel, we should not forget the contribution of all those other people of Piraeus, such as those who had the responsibility of managing the port those factors of the economic and cultural life of the area, and - mainly - the enormous host of workers who laboured under difficult conditions, giving of their honest toil and sweat, unseen, unheralded diggers setting the foundations for the ultimate sucess of Piraeus.10

WITH TH. RETSINAS, the cycle of creative mayors of the new Piraeus closes. It is sufficient to consider what happened throughout those seven decades, from the Municipali- ty's establishment to the end of the 19th century, to realise just what their contributions amounted to.

Everything, as I emphasised at the beginning. was started from scratch. First of all, the city changed its appearance with the help of Cleanthe's and Schaubert's town-plan. This excellent plan was not, of course, adhered to in its entirety. If that had happened, Piraeus would not have been according to I. Meletopoulos' very accurate observation -'just a beau- tiful city', as it is, but would have been an example to all others."

However, the amendments and deviations that were made, did not greatly change the city - thus it became adorned with spacious central roads and squares.

By the end of the century, all the necessary educational institutions had also been built (the High School, the Rallion Girls' College, the Lyceum - which began operating in 1862 - the elementary schools), many large churches, the Stock Exchange Building and, later, the Town Hall - the well known ROLOI or Clock-Tower (1869-73), the MunicipalTheatre (1884- 95) and the old Post Office Building (1899-1901). Also, the city had gained its Central Market (1861-63), and with the help of donations from the region's benefactors, its Commu- nal institutions which continue to operate today (the "Tzannion" Hospital, the "Zannion" Orphanage for boys, the Old People's Home, the "Hadjikyriakon" Orphanage for girls).

Through the services of the Mole Fund (1836-48) the Piraeus Quay-ways Committee (1848-61), and especially the Administration Committee (1861-1911), the port was essen- tially under the jursidiction of the Municiaplity,'2 and a number of essential works had been, and were being, executed (dredging operations, construction of the Royal Landing, the Troumba Pier and the quay-ways up to the Customs House area, the commencement of construction work on the Outer Moles and the permanent dry-docks), not of such grandeur or importance as the later, more extensive harbour-works, but undoubtedly giving the port the ability to meet its traffic of that time which reached about 2,500 vessels with a total 1,500,000 tonnes of cargo per year.

The oil-lamps which had lit Plraeus through its first steps were gradually replaced by petrol-lamps, then gas-lighting (1878) and finally, at the beginning of the 20th century, (1903- 1904), by electric lighting. (In 1904 the steam-powered train "Athens-Piraeus" turned). The poverty and decay, the inexistence of economic activity, were followed by the "boom" and the establishment of the first factories in the area (the L. Rallis Silk Mills, ship-yards and engineering workshops of Vasiliades, John McDowel and Varvour, Perrakis, Kouppas' silver foundry, the Retsinas, Volanakis and Lyginos Textile Mills, the Dilaveris Tile Works, the Metaxas, Pouris and Barbaressos Distilleries, the Dimokas, Seferlis, Loumos and Panagi- otopoulos flour mills, etc.) and the larger Merchant Trading firms.

On the Arts and Culture scene there was also lively activity and, as was only natural, the population increased considerably -the "hamlet" of 22 people in 1827 and 50 in 1830, the "village" of 300 people in 1834 and 1011 in 1836, had at last been transformed into a "town". The increase in population throughout the last 30 years of the 19th century contin- ued steadily until, in 1896, it had reached 51,020.'3

At the dawn of the 20th century, which was to prove both stormy and creative, radically changing the ultimate course of its history, Piraeus had already and decisively won its battle for renaissance and success. It had become the leading port and the second city in Greece. Its future prospects had also greatly widened, and then followed its surprising evolution throughout the 20th century to the ulsent day. Piraeus' rise, which turned it into the metropolis it now is, owes much to its well founded beginning and its achievements of the 19th century, which were mainly due, in turn, to the creative spirit of its first settlers and - to put it briefly and draw the necessary conclusion - to its "First Generation" of inhabitants who carried on, and completed, the work of their founder-fathers.14

THE GREEK shipowners' decisive and well-timed turn to steam-power which marked the beginning of a new era, coincided approximately with the beginning of the period of ascent for the Port of Piraeus - about the beginning of the ulsent century. But, at this point, it must be admitted that, despite the care and effort of the municipal leaders, by 1900 the remark- able harbour works that had been carried out, such as those ulviously mentioned, were, in fact, very few. The most important of these were the two permanent dry-docks at Kremmy- darou Bay, commenced in 1898 and completed in 1912.The plans for this project had been drawn up by Elias Angelopoulos and the work was undertaken by the firms L. Petitmermer and G. Raspini, at a total cost of approximately 5,500,000 Drachmas.'s

Apart from the few works executed, the whole system of management became bogged down. Then, by the end of the first decade of the 20th century, it had been acknowledged, by practical experience, that there was need for a change (Statutory Law G.F.A./1909 "On the Formation of the Piraeus Port Committee"). The first government headed by Eleftherios Venizelos, by its Royal Decree of 20/1/1911, put that Law into force and thus the Port Committee began operating as an autonomous Legal Entity, undertaking the management of the Port Fund and the studies for the construction, maintenance and exploitation of harbour works and installations.

The Port Committee was made up of reulsentatives of the competent State services, within the cycle of port operations, and associate members of the productive classes dealing with and using the port. Upon establishment of the Port Committee, the port ceased to depend on the municipal authorities and thus gained its essentially managerial autonomy. However, following its establishment the PC. did not decisively deal with the exploitation of loading/discharge operations and other port works - a fact, indeed, which dictated the formation of the PPA., a few years later. In any case, it should be noted that the PC. did execute the construction of the first important (relative to our national renaissance) harbour- works at Piraeus, by which mainly the N.W. sector of the Central Harbour was formed. These works were instigated by the inspiration and initiative of Demetrios Kallimassiotis (1859- 1929), who was frequently appointed chairman of the PC. (1911-14. 1921-24, 1926-29). These works (2756 metres of quayways, the barge-dock, the harbour-wall at Keratsini, 5 storage sheds, some excavations, dredging,etc.) were executed between 1924 and 1931, at a total cost of 495 million Drachmas."

With the establishment of the Port of Piraeus Authority in 1930, the second decisive step was taken in the attempt to find a final solution to the problem of efficient management and exploitation of the port.

This step was dictated by the daily practicality itself which left no margin for delays. The Port of Piraeus at that time, despite the steady increase in traffic and the fact that the first extensive harbour-works were almost completed, was encountering serious prob- lems. The loading/discharge of cargoes was being carried out with the aid of primitive barges. Storage facilities were non-existent and, with the exploitation in the hands of third parties, disorder and insecurity were the order of the day at the country's leading port while, at the same time, the cost of port services was steadily rising. Three benefactors of the region's public life, Michael Rinopoulos, lawyer and later Mayor of Piraeus, Nicolaos Solo- nakis, Director of Piraeus Customs, and Georgios Sakalis, a Member of Parliament, brought to the attention of the then all-powerful prime-minister, Eleftherios Venizelos, these weak points and, with the support of the productive classes organisations, underlined the need to concentrate all responsibilities relative to organisation, management and exploitation under one body. These proposals were quickly acted upon and, by means of Law No 4748 of 15/ 5/1930, ratified by publication as the Royal Decree of 14/7/1930, the Port of Piraeus Authority was established, as a public entity, to take the place of the Port Committee relative to all its rights and obligations, but with far wider jurisdiction.

Especially, the PPA. was charged (apart from all the ulvious PC's responsibilities) with the execution of loading/discharge operations, using its own means and labour force, the programming and supervision of the manner of execution of all port operations, by means of the issue of specific Regulations, the take-over of the Free Zone management and, finally, the PPA. was armed with the right to charge vessels, cargoes and passengers for the relative services and facilities offered.

The first chairman of the F

A. was Michael Rinopoulos (1879-1959) and the first General Manager was Theodoros Grigorakis, Adm. ret'd, of the Harbour-Master's Authority, both serving in their respective positions until 1933.'7

The establishment of the PPA., contributed decisively to the upward course of the Port of Pireaus and if, later, certain people observed some weaknesses in the organisation and exploitation systems as provided for by the establishment law, no-one could doubt the fact that the concentration of responsibilities covering management, and exploitation under one administrative body, thus ridding the port of its ulviously multi-headed form, was the begin- ning of the real progress and evolution that followed.

  • Loading/discharge operations carried out by its own means and labour force (November 1931).
  • The establishment of the Piraeus Free Zone (Feb. 1932) which had initially operated as an autonomous public utility, under the first chairman Nicolaos Solonakis who again came later (1933) under the P.P.A. administración.
  • The installation and operation of the first two bridge-cranes (1932)
  • Construction of the Silos (1937)
  • The execution of other port-works and building construction projects (including a 5-storey warehouse) and additions to technical equipment.

At the end of the 30's the port had been modernised relative to installations and technical equipment, to the point where it was quite capable of meeting the demands of its traffic at that time. Moreover, during the period from 1900 to 1940, the city of Piraeus went through a remarkable evolution and, following the dramatic events of the period from 1912 to 1922 (the Balkan Wars, World War 1 and the Asia Minor Catastrophe) with which the life of the city had been so closely involved, it had grown into a giant.

Especially, after 1922, Piraeus experienced its greatest population explosion, with its population almost doubling to reach 251,659 in 1928 (133,482 in 1920) following the arrival of refugees and their rehabilitation in communities around the old city - today's municipalities of Nikaia, Keratsini, Drapetsona, etc. - The rehabilitation of these refugees naturally created acute problems (initially that of feeding, then housing, work, etc.) and marked the beginning of the gradual change in the make-up of the region's populace, but finally proving to be useful and productive because it strengthened the country's economy by the infusion of a remark- ably volatile and valuable work-force whose contribution was apulciated as a positive factor not only of benefit to Piraeus but to the country as a whole.

THE NATION'S war-time adventures(l940-l 944) left their corresponding marks on both the city and the port. Especially, the latter suffered unparalleled set-backs to its, till then, steady progress. Wartime events such as the bombing, by German Stukas, resulting in the blowing up of the SS "Clan Fraser" (6/4/41), the heavy bombing of Piraeus by "allied" aircraft (11/1/44) and the blowing up of port installations by the Germans during their withdrawal (12/10/44), resulted in the almost total destruction of the port with damage which, according to relative estimates of that time, amounted to about 325 million Drachmas at their ul-war value. 18

This fact obliged the PPA. management to devote the first 5 years following liberation to the repair and replacement of war damage (repairs to the silos, dry-docks, warehouses, sheds, quayways, and replacement of mechanical means and equipment, etc.) for the port to recover, by the early 50's, its ul-1940 form.

Simultaneously, in 1950, in an effort to re-articulate the PPA:s administration, the Emer- gency Law 1559/1950 was published and later ratified by Law 1630/1951, thus amending the Law of Establishment and re-arranging, on a new basis, the relative matters of organisa- tion and operation of the PPA. and its Services. This law, later supplemented by various statutes and decrees, remains in force today and forms the basic frame-work of the PPA. regime.

Important projects aimed at developing and modernising the port began only after 1955 with the stage by stage application of plans drawn up by Demosthenes Pippas, Professor of Port and Harbour Engineering at the National Metsovian Polytechnic. Naturally, such works continue today. A number of alterations to, and deviations from, the initial plans were made up to 1982, these being dictated by technological evolution and new conditions arising from the development of new methods of sea-transportation and the revolutionary changes in cargo-handling techniques following the advent of containers. From the year 1982 onwards, the initial"plan" was abandoned and the Port's Administration reviewed its port-related policy in the period expanding from 1981 to 1988. The implementation of such a policy resulted in the ulparation of two 5-year development programmes - those of 1982 and 1987 - which originate from a new concept and cope with the issue of both extending and modernising the port in conjunction with the way of life and the problems of the "surrounding area" in other words, of the city and - in a wider sense - of the area of "Greater" Piraeus.

Indicatively, I note only the following works or projects executed since 1955: The re-articulation of the S.E. sector of the Central Port, with the constructon of 4593 metres of quay-ways, the formation of Hercules Port at Keratsini Bay, and the construction of a series of new storage facilities, sheds and passenger-stations -including the main such station at St. Nicholas - the extension of the Silos, thus doubling their capacity, the construe- tion of the harbours of Zea-Freattis and Phaleron Delta, the Drapetsona Harbour-wall and the petroleum products pier, the creation of the Perama Repair-base and the installation there of two floating docks, the re-formation of the Vasiliades Coast sector to form a modern Container Terminal, and the commencement of construction work on the large new Contain- er Terminal at the Neon Ikonion Sector, the recent layout of the passenger harbour with environmental beautification work, the transformation of the St. Nicholas Passenger Station as a prototype exhibition centre, the construction of the split-level road junction at the Xaverios Sector, etc., as well as the supplementation of technical equipment with three new bridge-cranes and a number of container stacking vehicles, cranes, fork-lift vehicles, floating means, etc. The beginning of the development of the new, modern Container Terminal, at Ikonion, which was - quite correctly -given the name of Eleftherios Venizelos - to pay homage to the famous politician in later Creek history who also founded the Port of Piraeus Authority - this being beyond any question the most important work in the recent historical course of the port. This work will be completed in the year 1991, while a part thereof has been operational since 1989.

Important projects, I repeat, have been and are being executed. Measures designed to improve and update administrative and managerial systems continue to be applied with the object of improving the overall organisation of the port and its services. This is natural and necessary. The port and the PPA. which administers it are living organs, continually evolving. The Administration and Organisation's work force must continually approach the overall situation with sensitivity, make timely assessment of problems as they arise during the daily practical application, and act promptly by taking the necessary steps for their immediate and decisive solution, in order to ensure continual and efficient operation and, generally, the achievement of the port's great and vital mission.

Fortunately, from the objective point of view, most of the P.P.A's Administrations have not failed to take great care and to show great interest in the port's progress.

Their contributions to the general effort, without reference to names, have been, and are, considerable. Moreover, apart from the various Adminisration's contributions, it would be unjust to disregard the interest shown by the various productive classes which use the port, or the contributions made by the Organisation's clerical and technical staffs and labour forces towards its progress and evolution. It would not be an exaggeration to claim that today's port is mainly the successful outcome of the toil and sweat of them all.

IN THEIR POST-WAR course, from 1945 to today, the development of the city and port have been parallel. Just as I have underlined on a number of occasions, they have shared, and still do, a common destiny, from ancient times to the ulsent. Today, Piraeus has developed into a Metropolis, without substantial fluctuations in popu- lation over recent years, and, despite its proximity to Athens and the aesthetic changes it has undergone through certain extremes of architectural irresponsibility, the city maintains, to a certain degree, its own individuality.

Naturally, the city still suffers serious problems, particularly those of traffic circulation and environment - those unfortunate problems encountered by all the larger Greek towns and cities of the post-war period. In parallel, the port, with efficient organisation, convenient lay- out and a steady rhythm of modernisation continues its upward progress, firmly bound to its environs, which look back on about 4600 years of history and, just as in its prime in ancient times, continues to be the most vital factor in the economic and cultural development, not only of the city - or even the Greater Piraeus region - but also of the whole ulfecture of Attica.


Piraeus

los Piraeus (Πειραιάς, official transliteration Pireas) is the ancient port of Athens, and still functions as the chief exit point from the city by sea, for destinations among the Aegean Islands and elsewhere in the east Mediterranean. Domestic destinations include all of the Aegean islands except the Sporades and some smaller Cyclades and Dodecanese isles that require a connection. International destinations (apart from cruise ships) include Cyprus and the Middle East.

Piraeus occupies a huge territory. Check your gate number in advance, so you know where to go. It may take 15 minutes of driving or 30 minutes of walking to reach one end of the port from the other.

Since privatisation of the Port of Piraeus Authority, passenger facilities have improved greatly. Air conditioned tents have been set up at departure locations around the port, and free wi-fi internet access is now available.

Ship arrivals and departures are posted outside the Coast Guard Building at Karaiskaki Square, the main bus terminal of Piraeus.

The area can become hectic, especially during the summer period, so allow plenty of time to navigate to the correct departure point.

Historia Editar

Piraeus was founded in the early 5th century BC, assuming great importance as the new port of classical Athens. Built as a prototype harbour, with three deep water harbours, the main port of Cantharus and the two smaller of Zea and Munichia, it concentrated all the import and transit trade of Athens, and gradually replaced the older and shallow Phaleron harbour, which gradually fell into disuse. During the Golden Age of Athens (480-343 BC), Piraeus was rebuilt to the famous grid plan of architect Hippodamus of Miletus, known as the Hippodamian plan, and its main agora was named after him in honour. As a result, Piraeus flourished and became a port of high security and great commercial activity, and the Long Walls were constructed to fortify the route from the main city to its port, which created a formidable naval fortress. This aroused Sparta's suspicions and, in the words of Thucydides, "made war inevitable". After this war (431-404 BC), the harbour declined gradually, growing once more in the 19th century, after Athens' declaration as the capital of Greece.

Most travellers arriving in Piraeus from central Athens make use of the very convenient Metro. Line 1 terminates at the Port, from there it's a short walk to the Saronic Gulf ferries, hydrofoils and catamarans, or a free shuttle-bus ride to the ships sailing to Crete and the Dodecanses. Central Cyclades ferries conveniently sail from just across the metro station. Metro ticket costs €1.20 and allows unlimited connections on all modes of transport within 90 minutes.

Directo Airport Express buses run 24 hours between the port of Piraeus and Athens International Airport. Allow 90 minutes for the trip. The Airport is also accessible via the Metro, with a connection at Monastiraki. Bus tickets to the airport, available from the driver, cost €5.50 Metro tickets to the airport are €9.00.

Other public buses connect Piraeus with other suburbs, the southern coastal zone and central Athens. Bus and trolley-bus tickets cost €1.20 and are valid for unlimited connections (including metro) within 90 minutes. They must be bought in advance (generally from kiosks or inside metro stations).

During the "season", a goodly number of cruise ships stop here. Modest sized ships dock within easy walk of the passenger terminal (approximately a mile south of the Metro station). Large ships dock about 2–300 meters farther away, closer to the busy entrance to this harbor. From the terminal, you could take a taxi, or you might find a city bus going toward the Metro terminal (ask in the terminal) otherwise, you face a walk with entrances to ferry and freight docks on the shore side, and various commercial and civic buildings on the other side of the very busy street. Those walkers who stay on the harbor side can use a pedestrian bridge over the street within sight of the Metro station.

The centre of Piraeus and the Port can be negoatiated easily on foot if you are not carrying luggage. Trolleybuses (no 20) are useful for the run from the Port to Passalimani and then follow the very scenic route around the hill of Castella, terminating at the Line 1 Metro station of Faliro, near the Peace & Friendship and Karaiskaki Stadiums.

Free shuttle buses inside the Port run from across the Metro Line 1 Terminal Station, around the north side of the port to the ships sailing for Crete, the Eastern Aegean and the Dodecanese.


5 respuestas 5

I am not in a position to answer your question about scholarly consensus regarding the two symbolic meanings of the choice of the Piraeus. There is, however, a discussion of the framing story of the Republic that I encountered recently and found fascinating. That discussion addresses what was said to be going on in the Piraeus just before the dialogue, rather than the port location as a location with characteristics and a history.

The discussion is in the concluding chapter of Religion in Human Evolution: From the Paleolithic to the Axial Age (Cambridge, Massachusetts and London, England: The Belknap Press of Harvard University Press, 2011), by Robert N. Bellah. It is part of a longer discussion of the evolution of the term theoria and its successor, &ldquotheory&rdquo. Bellah in turn draws on Andrea Nightingale, Spectacles of Truth in Classical Greek Philosophy: Theoria in Its Cultural Context (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2004).

Bellah writes (on page 577):

Thus, on Bellah's recounting of Nightingale's observation, it is the religious festival taking place in the Piraeus, and Socrates's role as a theoros of that festival, that is salient as the opening of the narrative frame for the República.

It is an allusion to the Cave Allegory. The enlightened one is going into the cave to enlighten. It is also a spiritual descent because he is also going there for pagan worship to pray to the goddess for the festival, which is below the wisdom of Plato and Way below the wisdom of Jesus Christ.

It simply means Plato went down to the foundation of the Republic to conduct a diagnosis of the condition of the Republic.

We should before distinguish about what is the purpose of the Republic. Without this missing point we cannot pinpoint the real context. Some sources I cannot recall at the moment( sorry, maybe neoplatonic) say Plato kept correcting the Republic books all his life. In any case is such a long book where it is a pertinent assumption Plato did not leave to case the initial sentences. Several reasons for that:

1) Plato dialogues present meanings not always evident initially, nothing esoteric, just a fact, knew people that spent 20 years only on the Repubblic for instance.

2) The book is too long to not take attention to the first phrase, even because in the 10th book also there is a noticeable end.

3) The semantic analysis of all his dialogues show that the way they begin is almost always referring to some particular context.

Said that, the purpose of the book is political, metaphysical, on Dike, the justice? How Plato considers when he writes his book, the environment of that period?

With all these premises we can also think that he is referring to going down to the Ades. And also that can still remain valid other meanings, as the ones quoted so far. The Piraeus is an haven, a place where there are people usually different by philosophers. As it is a fiction, why that procession? It was quite popular this Thracian deity for sure at the time of Plato, but could we think that there was some reasons behind? Bendis as Artemis is linked to Cybele, and here should be seen the link with the last book of the republic where there is the myth of Er. Andin this sense would be interesting to see how the similarities with the concept of a cathabasis in Ades become much more familiar.


Ancient Greek Lion from Port of Piraeus Now Adorns Venice’s Arsenal

The ancient Greek Lion at the Arsenal in Venice. Credit: Didier Descouens/Wikimedia Commons/CC-BY-SA-4.0

The story of the Ancient Greek Piraeus Lion, which is now in Venice, is one of several which are part of Greece’s long history of ancient sculpted masterpieces — and their subsequent looting, which has meant that many of them are now scattered in museums and historical sites around the world.

The imposing lion statue, thought to have been sculpted around 360 BC, was the landmark of the ancient Greek port of Piraeus, which stood proud in its place at the entrance to the harbor until 1687 — when it was looted by Venetian naval commander Francesco Morosini.

It is currently on display at the Venetian Arsenal, as a symbol of Venice’s patron saint, Saint Mark.

Ancient Greek port Piraeus nicknamed “Lion Port” because of statue

The port of Piraeus has served as the harbor of Athens from ancient times until today. Its proud lion was a famous landmark that caused the Italians to name Piraeus “Porto Leone” (Lion Port), leaving out its actual location.

In fact, the first mention of the port as Porto Leone is made on a naval map drawn up by the Genoese Pietro Visconti in 1318.

Made of white marble, the lion is an imposing 3 meters (9 feet) tall. It is in a sitting position and its hollow throat and the marks of a missing pipe running across its back indicates that its was most likely part of a fountain, as the description by the Venetians about water flowing from its mouth into a cistern at its feet indicates.

Travelers and sailors over the centuries have created several legends about the lion. One of these says that a pregnant Turkish woman looked at the statue and then gave birth to a monster with the face of a lion, with rabbit’s ears and human legs, which cried out like a dog.

At that time, it is said that Turkish authorities ordered the newborn’s killing and did not allow the baby’s burial, sending it to France for study.

Similar legends circulated throughout the Middle Ages, generating awe in the seamen of the time.

The Piraeus Lion was taken to Venice in 1687

The lion was defaced during the 11th century by Swedes, who were mercenaries in the service of the Byzantine (Eastern Roman) Emperor. The Swedes carved graffiti on the lion, in the form of runes, which were recognized many years later as such by Swedish diplomat Johan David Akerblad, at the end of the eighteenth century.

Las inscripciones han sido erosionadas por el clima y la contaminación en Venecia, lo que hace que muchas de las runas individuales sean apenas legibles ahora. Los traductores que intentaron reconstruir algunas de las runas, llenando los espacios en blanco para determinar qué palabras representaban, obtuvieron resultados no concluyentes.

Durante la guerra de los venecianos contra el Imperio Otomano en 1687, los venecianos capturaron Atenas y los cañones de Morosini & # 8217 fueron disparados contra el Partenón, causando daños. Las fuerzas venecianas saquearon la ciudad y se llevaron la famosa estatua del león a Venecia como botín de guerra.

Hoy, una copia del león mira como un guardia temible a todos los barcos que llegan al puerto, mientras que otras copias se exhiben en el Museo Arqueológico del Pireo y, curiosamente, en el Museo Sueco de Antigüedades Nacionales de Estocolmo.


Ver el vídeo: Dalida - Los niños del Pireo (Mayo 2022).